Converting anonymous visitors to paying customers
Flormel, a Brazilian healthy snack food provider, wanted to build an engaged customer base and boost their overall e-commerce sales. The brand’s media spend was increasing, leading to higher website
traffic. The challenge though was to manage and translate the traffic from unknown visitors to conversions and paying customers.
“It is very common for online customers to visit a website, add products of interest in their cart and, for some reason, not finish the purchase. We engaged Upstream and their marketing automation platform, Grow, and began sending automated notifications to our customers to encourage their return to the store and to conclude the transaction. The results prove that mobile marketing is the way to go.”Carlos Maciel
Digital Channels Manager at Flormel
Powering website traffic with opt-in mechanisms and personalized marketing
Flormel turned to Upstream to untap the potential of first party data, identify opportunities for growth and enrich experiences via highly targeted and engaging marketing campaigns. The strategy was developed to achieve three major objectives:
- Build up the first party contactable customer base by sustainably collecting the website visitors phone numbers.
- Recover abandoned carts with triggered messaging.
- Increase e-commerce sales via personalized messaging to the new base.
1. Targeted pop-up campaigns were launched to build up the opt-in audience with a R$20 OFF coupon code at two different collection points. The 1st pop-up targeted new visitors landing on the website and the 2nd one retargeted the non-subscribed visitors just before they leave with exit intent pop-ups.
Upstream’s technology can detect when visitors are about to leave & target them with irresistible promo alerts – the $R20 OFF coupon code in this case.
2. Upon subscription, users received a welcome sms with the coupon code to use anytime they wanted.
3. Flormel’s win back strategy to abandoners included 2 triggered cart reminders. The 1st message was triggered 1hr after the visitor left the shopping cart, while the 2nd one retargeted the unconverted users 24hrs later.
4. Following the development of a new mobile customer database, users were targeted with highly engaging broadcast campaigns to increase e-sales in a fast and efficient way. 25,000 new phone numbers were gathered in less than 4 months. Weekly broadcast messages were introduced to communicate Flormel’s best offers to their newly built VIP audience
What Flormel achieved
8.5x more phone numbers acquired in 100 days
7% opt-in rate in pop-ups
7.5% contribution in overall sales
11x ROI in just 2 months